After her 2017 free fall, which saw her slump from No.1 to No.22 in the WTA rankings, Angelique Kerber is making a flawless start to the 2018 season, following up her four singles wins at the Hopman Cup with five commanding victories en route to the Sydney International title, the German’s first since the 2016 US Open.
Kerber’s toughest test was in the first round, as she saved two match points to beat Lucie Safarova 6-7(3) 7-6(8) 6-2, then she overcame second seed Venus Williams 5-7 6-3 6-1, Dominika Cibulkova 6-3 6-1 in the quarterfinals, Camila Giorgi 6-2 6-3 in the semis, and in the finals home star Ashleigh Barty 6-4 6-4.
Our photographer Jimmie48 completed his busy week in Sydney by covering the title match, trophy presentation, as well as the press conference that followed. Enjoy our Saturday’s gallery!
Fashion update: Kerber lifted the champion’s trophy in the US Series Tank and Skirt, before switching to Adidas’ new Melbourne line.
MORE SYDNEY INTERNATIONAL 2018 PHOTOS:
- Friday: Barty beats Gavrilova, Kerber ends Giorgi’s fairytale run to reach finals
- Thursday: Barty, Kerber, Giorgi complete semifinal field
- Wednesday: Gavrilova leaps into semifinals as Muguruza withdraws
- Tuesday: Kerber conquers Venus, Radwanska beats Konta
- Monday: Kvitova, Kerber progress, Stephens loses in singles and doubles
- Sunday: Ostapenko dumped in round one
How nice to see Angie Kerber back! Good luck to her in AO!