Venus and Serena Williams took the stage of the 2022 Oscars to introduce Beyoncé’s powerful performance of “Be Alive”, a track from the sisters’ “King Richard” movie.
The Will Smith-starring film tells the story of the Williams sisters’ upbringing and tennis beginnings in Compton, California.
Named after Venus’ and Serena’s legendary father Richard Williams, “King Richard” was nominated for the 2022 Oscars in six categories:
- Best picture (Tim White, Trevor White and Will Smith, Producers)
- Best actor in a leading role (Will Smith)
- Best supporting actress (Aunjanue Ellis)
- Best original screenplay (written by Zach Baylin)
- Best film editing (Pamela Martin)
- Best original song (“Be Alive”, music and lyrics by DIXSON and Beyoncé Knowles-Carter)
Serena Williams wore a pink Gucci micro-pleated gown with extra deep V-neck and accessorized with her own jewelry line. Venus Williams also chose a jaw-dropping design with cleavage — a custom Elie Saab dress.
— Complex Music (@ComplexMusic) March 28, 2022
The sisters took the stage of the 94th Academy Awards to introduce Beyoncé’s “Be Alive” song, which depicts the determination, obstacles and family support that defined the WTA legends.
The show-stopping performance was an ode to the Williams sisters’ tennis beginnings, as it took place on the Lueders Park courts that were rebranded as the Venus and Serena Williams Court of Champions in 2016. The powerful staging included a lot of musicians and dancers. The setting and outfits were all yellow, like tennis balls.