On a rain-interrupted first day of Wimbledon, top-seeded Justine Henin and seventh-seeded Serena Williams eased into the round two.
Justine Henin of Belgium needed just 55 minutes to beat Argentine qualifier Jorgelina Cravero 6-3 6-0.
The 25-year-old Belgian took the opportunity following her victory to dismiss suggestions that she was considering a retirement in two years time due to injuries.
“I think that is a bit of a mistake in the paper.
“But, no, it is going to be four, five more years – three certainly depending on injuries but not just two,” said Henin who will next face Vera Dushevina of Russia.
Two-time Wimbledon champion Serena Williams didn’t impress us with her performance; she made 20 unforced errors, including 6 double faults. Still, her opponent Lourdes Dominguez Lino of Spain didn’t manage to profit from Williams’ mistakes, and lost 7-5 6-0.
World No. 8 Serena admitted having problems with a tight hamstring:
“I’m taking it a day at a time and it’s better than it was a couple of days ago,” she said.
“But I’m glad I’ve got Tuesday off.”
However, Serena won’t withdraw from the doubles she plays with her older sister Venus.
The 25-year-old American will next face Alicia Molik of Australia.
Other first round results of the day one:
- No. 9 seed Martina Hingis def. Naomi Cavaday 6-7 7-5 6-0
- Alicia Molik (AUS) def. Anastasia Rodionova (RUS) 6-3 6-2
- No. 15 seed Patty Schnyder (SUI) def. Camille Pin(FRA) 6-1 4-6 8-6
- No. 18 seed Marion Bartoli (FRA) def. Flavia Pennetta (ITA) 6-3 6-1
- Kaia Kanepi (EST) def. Tatjana Malek (GER) 6-1 6-4
- Roberta Vinci (ITA) def. Ashley Harkleroad (USA) 6-2 6-1
- Vera Dushevina (RUS) def. Timea Bacsinszky (SUI) 6-4 7-5
- Aiko Nakamura (JAP) def. Martina Sucha (SVK) 7-5 6-2
- Laura Granville (USA) def. Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) 7-6 6-3
- No. 29 seed Sybille Bammer (AUT) def. Varvara Lepchenko (UZB) 6-2 6-2
- No. 16 seed Shahar Peer (ISR) def. Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA) 7-5 6-2
- No. 25 seed Lucie Safarova (CZE) def. Zuzana Ondraskova (CZE) 7-5 6-2 (via BBC, Wimbledon)
Get women's tennis updates to your inbox.