Petra Kvitova and Ashleigh Barty will meet in Sunday’s Aegon Classic final as the Czech two-time Wimbledon champion and the Australian talent have emerged as the last two players standing in Birmingham.
Following a lot of pre-tournament withdrawals, Birmingham has been rather unlucky with retirements as well. After two quarterfinal matches that ended early due to injuries, Saturday’s semifinal between Petra Kvitova and Lucie Safarova was also cut short as Safarova had to retire at the beginning of the second set.
The premature end of the match should take nothing away from Kvitova’s performance though, as the Czech two-time Wimbledon champion is playing herself into impressive form, making her first final in 2017 after having played just five matches in total this year.
In the title match, Kvitova will face Australian hope Ashleigh Barty, who outlasted Spain’s Garbine Muguruza in three sets on Saturday.
MORE PHOTOS FROM THE 2017 AEGON CLASSIC:
- Friday: Kvitova & Muguruza reach the semis
- Thursday: Konta & Svitolina make early exits
- Wednesday: Petra Kvitova continues successful comeback
- Tuesday: Kvitova, Safarova successfully kick off their campaigns in Birmingham
- Monday: Mixed results for British players
- Sunday: Draw ceremony, Kerber’s withdrawal and qualifying action
- Saturday: WTA qualifying + Petra Kvitova’s practice session