For the eighth year in a row, my friend John Bolan will make his Top 10 WTA year-end ranking predictions for 2018, while you’re invited to tells us who you think will be Top 10 players when the upcoming season is finished. Your entry must be submitted in the comment section of this article by December 31, 2017. The best predictor will win a WTA autograph of choice from our collection! Let’s give the word to John!
I’ll start this article by giving you some hints to think about as you compile your Top 10 list. Think about the rankings of the players for 2017. What top players were injured or out of action for many months during 2017? Do you think any young players are ready for the Top 10? Do you have any personal favorites who just must be included?
Here are my answers, my Top 10 predictions for 2018:
- Elina Svitolina
- Garbine Muguruza
- Karolina Pliskova
- Simona Halep
- Maria Sharapova
- Caroline Garcia
- Jelena Ostapenko
- Johanna Konta
- Madison Keys
- Caroline Wozniacki
1. Svitolina was a consistent winner during 2017, with the desire and talent to be No.1.
2. Muguruza will play great and retain her No.2 ranking in 2018.
3. Pliskova has the fastest serve and is very dangerous.
4. Halep will try, but fail to hold her No.1 ranking during 2018.
5. Sharapova is back for the entire season in 2018 and has something to prove.
6. Garcia had a great finish in 2017, which will carry over to 2018.
7. Ostapenko, young and smart, tells it like it is. She has the personality and talent.
8. Konta has all the tools and will again finish in the Top 10.
9. Keys is overall the best American player, healthy and ready for 2018.
10. Wozniacki really stepped up her game in 2017 and will stay in the Top 10.
There are many very talented players I considered, but didn’t choose, including Belinda Bencic, Petra Kvitova, Victoria Azarenka, Sloane Stephens, Julia Goerges, Elena Vesnina, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Anastasija Sevastova, Natalia Vikhlyantseva, Aryna Sabalenka and the Williams sisters. You may wish to include some of these or other players. Take your best shot.
Now please go to the comment section at the end of this article and make your own picks. Only those who submit by December 31, 2017 will be eligible for the WTA autograph prize. Of course, the winner will be announced in December 2018. Best of luck!