Ashleigh Barty won the biggest title of her career and fourth overall by defeating former world No.1 Karolina Pliskova in the final of the 2019 Miami Open 7-6(1) 6-3. It’s hard to believe that the Australian returned to tennis just a little over three years ago, having given up on the sport two years earlier to play pro cricket.
Even with WTA’s ace queen across the net, Barty managed to hit a career-high 15 aces in the title match, compared to Pliskova’s 6, and won 86% of points on her first serve, while Pliskova won just 65%.
The first player to take charge in the final was fifth seed Pliskova, establishing a 3-1 lead, but 12th-seeded Barty leveled and won the set in a one-sided tiebreak. The second set was more straightforward, as Barty faced no break points and lost just five points in the last four games.
The successful fortnight in Miami will welcome Barty in the Top 10 for the first time, as she’ll rise from No.11 to No.9 on Monday, while Pliskova, currently ranked No.7, will climb to No.4.
Our photographer Jimmie48 was with players from their court entrance to the trophy ceremony and press conference. Enjoy the photo gallery!
In this all-Fila final, champion Barty wore the Fila Aqua Sole Halter Tank and Fila Aqua Sole Pleated Hem Skirt.
MORE MIAMI OPEN 2019 PHOTOS:
- Thursday: Pliskova halts Halep’s ascend to No.1, Barty keeps winning on a rainy day
- Wednesday: Halep, Pliskova complete semifinal field
- Tuesday: Barty, Kontaveit to meet in the semifinals
- Monday: Halep beats Venus, injury ends Andreescu’s run
- Sunday: Halep & Venus book fourth-round clash
- Saturday: Osaka knocked out, Andreescu keeps winning
- Friday: Osaka & Halep progress, Svitolina upset in the second round
- Thursday: Key, Azarenka out in the second round, Bajin spotted in Mladenovic’s box
- Wednesday: Ribbon-cutting ceremony with Osaka & Serena