The US Open withdrawal list gets longer by the day

7
black friday 2021

It’s hard to keep up with all the US Open withdrawals announced every day and we can’t say it’s a surprise. Less than a week ago, the Grand Slam proudly stated that nine of the Top 10 WTA players would headline the field, but since then we have all too often been hearing about new withdrawals.

Shortly after the US Open’s announcement, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova informed the tennis world that she would not be traveling to New York because of coronavirus concerns, then Top 10 players Kiki Bertens and Elina Svitolina pulled out, alongside Barbora Krejcikova, and today the USTA revealed that doubles No.2 Barbora Strycova and Wang Xiyu will also not play the US Open this year.

Also added to the skipping-the-2020-US-Open list is the 2004 champion Svetlana Kuznetsova, who wrote on Instagram on Monday:

Due to an unfavorable situation caused by coronavirus, and therefore the inability to get together all my team I made a difficult decision to refuse to participate in Cincinnati and the US Open.

I feel very sad, because I have been waiting for these tournaments so much, but the pandemic changes all plans.

The 35-year-old Russian was among eight former US Open champions included in the initial women’s singles entry list.

 

7 COMMENTS

  1. Frank, they are definitely under a lot of pressure. They badly want the tournament to take place, but at the same time the situation is against them. Still, you see, Italy was among countries worst hit by the virus and still the Palermo tournament turned out to be a success. Although, it is a completely different thing than a Grand Slam. Whoever wins this US Open will have an asterisk next to that title.

  2. Hey Frank:
    There will be no asterisk. In a short period of time, the virus will be forgotten but the US Open champions will remain champions till the end of time. Bad move Rafa… wouldn’t it be ironic if your stupid decision not to go results in your never catching Roger? Svitolina and Bertens: the two of you cannot afford to skip this event; you only have a limited window to win a grand slam. Others like Rybakina and Gauff will soon be passing you by. Same with Barty; showing no desire to support the WTA and the FEW tournaments left sweating blood to make it happen.

  3. stringer : Total COVID-19 cases in the US : 5.08M (+48,769 cases yesterday)
    Total COVID-19 deaths in the US : 163K (+554 deaths yesterday)
    So PLEASE don’t tell me that the virus will soon be forgotten!!!

    And YES, THERE WILL BE an ENORMOUS asterisk next to the name of this year’s US OPEN winners (MALE
    AND FEMALE)!!!

    But hey, we can agree to disagree on this one…! No hard feelings (I hope)! 🙂

  4. Hey Frank:
    Palermo just ran without a hitch. Prague and Lexington are running without a hitch. WTT ran 3 weeks without a hitch. We could get into a 5 page debate about the covid numbers. Many tests give inaccurate results, covid numbers are inflated for a whole host of reasons, most deaths are of the very old who would have died anyways from other causes. The point is the US Open will be held under a “bubble”. Are you saying that if Halep wins, it doesn’t count because Bertens and Elina weren’t there…I don’t think so!! Therefore, no asterisk!!! I will say this: Bertens, Pavs, Barty and GEMS are beyond stupid for letting an opportunity like this one get a way.

  5. stringer :

    That’s your opinion and I respect that 100%! Like I said : we can agree to disagree…

    Even though one asymptomatic player tested positive for COVID-19, I agree that Palermo went well and that WTT went well also. Fingers crossed for Prague and Lexington!

    And I hope that the bubble will work at the US OPEN (hopefully no player will leave the bubble like Danielle Collins did at WTT – I don’t think anyone will)!

    Anyway…Let’s enjoy the tennis…and may the best player win…! 🙂

  6. Stringer, I said that there would be an asterisk next to this year’s champions and I meant it in a metaphoric sense. Of course, in the long run, the number of GS titles is what counts and how the tournament was carried out will indeed be forgotten. From my perspective, I think that the fact the US Open is organized is a good opportunity for players, but on the other hand I don’t think that players and their teams are stupid, those who decided to opt out must have evaluated the situation and made the best decision based on their circumstances.

    It will be interesting to see how this US Open will turn out. Fingers crossed that everything goes as smoothly as possible.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here