Omair Malik is a young finance expert by day and a very enthusiastic tennis fan by night. When he is not busy working late hours, he watches the sport he loves, tennis (of course), and uses his skills to analyse the performance of players who we all enjoy to watch on and off the court.
Omair has been a loyal reader of Women’s Tennis Blog and in November 2011 he decided to make his skills with numbers public and contribute in the form of an analysis of numbers behind the Top 10 WTA players’ games. I readily agreed to share his professional work and readers loved it, so Omair continued to contribute, earning a title of Women’s Tennis Blog’s stats expert. Therefore, we made this page, a list of all Omair’s stats articles in one place. Enjoy the maths behind tennis!
AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2015
Australian Open women’s singles final: Can Sharapova finally end her free fall against Williams? Let’s see what the tennis stats are saying!
Who will win the semifinals? Maria Sharapova vs. Ekaterina Makarova, Serena Williams vs. Madison Keys
Austarlian Open top-half quarterfinals preview: Serena Williams vs. Dominika Cibulkova, Venus Williams vs. Madison Keys
WTA Australian Open quarterfinal preview: Sharapova vs. Bouchard, Makarova vs. Halep
Story inspired by Li Na: How many Australian Open champions in history failed to show up for their title defence
AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2014
WTA awards: Aussie Princess, Small Surprise Package, Miss Lost Opportunity, and more
US OPEN 2013
Analysis of the women’s draw for the 2013 US Open
WTA TOP 3 VS. ATP TOP 3 SERIES: SERENA WILLIAMS VS. NOVAK DJOKOVIC, VICTORIA AZARENKA VS. ROGER FEDERER, MARIA SHARAPOVA VS. ANDY MURRAY
- Introductory article
- Who would win if Serena faced Djokovic, Azarenka played Federer and Sharapova encountered Murray?
- Who was more consistent over the last 12 months, Sharapova or Murray?
- Victoria Azarenka vs. Roger Federer – who was better in the last 12 months?
- Is Serena Williams more consistent than Novak Djokovic?
US OPEN 2012 EDITION
- WTA players at the 2012 US Open and their corresponding animated characters/movies
- Serena Williams vs. Victoria Azarenka – preview of the championship match
- Serena Williams vs. Sara Errani – semifinal preview
- Victoria Azarenka vs. Maria Sharapova – semifinal preview
2012 LONDON OLYMPICS EDITION
- Olympic WTA awards: Golden Empress, Bridesmaids, Gutsy Performers and others
- Ruthless Serena loses just one game against Sharapova to complete a Career Golden Grand Slam
- Olympic semifinal preview: Maria Sharapova vs. Maria Kirilenko
- Olympic semifinal preview: Serena Williams vs. Victoria Azarenka
WIMBLEDON 2012 EDITION
- Wimbledon 2012 WTA awards: Grass Empress, Finesse Queen, Gutsy Performer, Brave Heart, Biggest Disappointment
- Preview of women’s singles final: Serena Williams vs. Agnieszka Radwanska
- Serena Williams vs. Victoria Azarenka – Wimbledon semifinal preview
- Agnieszka Radwanska vs. Angelique Kerber – Wimbledon semifinal preview
- How likely are Roland Garros finalists to lose early at Wimbledon?
- Will Top 4 Wimbledon 2012 seeds avoid the 2008 fate?
- How likely is an Australian Open warm-up tournament winner to win the Melbourne Grand Slam? – 2012 edition
- Top 10 players in 2011 – how they scored against fellow big opponents – Part 1
- Top 10 players in 2011 – what do their losses suggest? – Part 2
- Comparative analysis of Top 10 players and their performance at big tournaments in 2011
SLAMLESS NUMBER ONES EDITION
- Hingis and Davenport were just as slamless No.1s as Jankovic, Safina and Wozniacki and nobody criticized them – Part 2
Omair’s take on Azarenka’s victory over Sharapova in the Australian Open final
Azarenka or Sharapova, who will win the Melbourne final?
Azarenka shows emotional maturity against Clijsters and advances to first Grand Slam final
Mighty fighter Sharapova dismisses new power tower Kvitova in Australian Open semis
Petra Kvitova vs. Maria Sharapova semifinal pre-match analysis
Australian Open: Azarenka vs. Clijsters semifinal preview
Victoria Azarenka won the Sydney title this year and entering the Australian Open she had 79% chances of making it to the quarterfinals or better of the Australian Open.
Kvitova beats Errani in Melbourne quarterfinals
Post-match numbers: Sharapova vs. Makarova Australian Open quarterfinal
Australian Open quarterfinal preview: Maria Sharapova vs. Ekaterina Makarova
Australian Open quarterfinal preview: Petra Kvitova vs. Sara Errani
Caroline Wozniacki is the only Top 10 player who did not beat two Top 10 players in a single tournament in 2011.
Post-match statistical overview of Clijsters vs. Wozniacki quarterfinal
Post-match statistical overview of Azarenka vs. Radwanska quarterfinal
What do numbers predict for the Azarenka vs. Radwanska Australian Open quarterfinal?
Numbers speak in Wozniacki’s favor for the Australian Open quarterfinal against Clijsters
- Indian Wells 2012 semifinal preview: Azarenka, the streaka, or Kerber, the iron-nerve lady?
- Reflections on the WTA Tour ahead of Indian Wells and Miami 2012
(photos: © Neal Trousdale)