World No.1 Ana Ivanovic has been named as the top seed for the 2008 US Open which starts on Monday in New York.
The French Open champion will attempt to reach the quarterfinals at the final Grand Slam of the year for the first time.
By the way, Ivanovic was briefly not No.1 in the world after nine weeks at the top of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour rankings as fellow Serb Jelena Jankovic took her place. Jankovic is now again No.2 after just one week of enjoying the top spot, and Ivanovic will stay No.1 for at least three weeks.
Here’s a list of the rest of the women’s singles seeds (in brackets I added their best results at the US Open):
2. Jelena Jankovic, Serbia (semifinals)
3. Svetlana Kuznetsova, Russia (champion in 2004)
4. Serena Williams, United States (champion in 1999 and 2002)
5. Elena Dementieva, Russia (final)
6. Dinara Safina, Russia (quarterfinals)
7. Venus Williams, United States (champion in 2000 and 2001)
8. Vera Zvonareva, Russia (fourth round)
9. Agnieszka Radwanska, Poland (fourth round)
10. Anna Chakvetadze, Russia (semifinals)
11. Daniela Hantuchova, Slovak Republic (quarterfinals)
12. Marion Bartoli, France (fourth round)
13. Agnes Szavay, Hungary (quarterfinals)
14. Victoria Azarenka, Belarus (fourth round)
15. Patty Schnyder, Switzerland (quarterfinals)
16. Flavia Pennetta, Italy (second round)
17. Alize Cornet, France (third round)
18. Dominika Cibulkova, Slovak Republic (second round)
19. Nadia Petrova, Russia (quarterfinals)
20. Nicole Vaidisova, Czech Republic (fourth round)
21. Caroline Wozniacki, Denmark (second round)
22. Maria Kirilenko, Russia (third round)
23. Lindsay Davenport, United States (champion in 1998)
24. Shahar Peer, Israel (quarterfinals)
25. Francesca Schiavone, Italy (quarterfinals)
26. Anabel Medina Garrigues, Spain (third round)
27. Alona Bondarenko, Ukraine (third round)
28. Katarina Srebotnik, Slovenia (third round)
29. Sybille Bammer, Austria (fourth round)
30. Ai Sugiyama, Japan (fourth round)
31. Virginie Razzano, France (fourth round)
32. Amelie Mauresmo, France (semifinals)
The draw for the 2008 US Open will be made on Thursday.
wasnt JJ best result in the semifinal?
anyways love reading your blogs.
You’re right William, I corrected the mistake, thank you for noting that.
I’m happy to have you as a regular reader. 🙂