Great Britain’s Johanna Konta continues her rise in the WTA rankings, starting out her 2017 season with a major title win at the Apia International Sydney.
The reigning world #10 captured her second WTA title on Friday, beating Poland’s Agniezska Radwanska in straight sets, 6-4 6-2. The title in her birthtown of Sydney is the second Premier trophy in Konta’s trophy case, following her maiden WTA title in Stanford last year.
Earlier in the day, the tournament’s doubles competition was won by Anastasia Pavluychenkova and Timea Babos. The Russian-Hunagrian duo, paired up for the first time, beat none other than current doubles world #2 Sania Mirza, who has teamed up with Barbora Strycova following her split from Martina Hingis.
MORE PHOTOS FROM THE 2017 APIA INTERNATIONAL SYDNEY:
- Thursday: Konta, Radwanska win the semifinals
- Wednesday: WTA quarterfinalists survive scorching heat
- Tuesday: Daria Kasatkina upsets world No.1 Angelique Kerber
- Monday: Completion of first-round matches
- Sunday: Main-draw play kicks off, injuries plague the tournament
- Saturday: Second-round of qualifying completes + player practices
- Friday: The start of qualifying action + player practices
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Get weekly women's tennis updates to your inbox for free.