World No.93 Danielle Collins wrapped up the quarterfinal action by beating her idol Venus Williams and becoming the first qualifier ever to advance to the Miami Open semifinals. Imagine how the 24-year-old felt after her 6-2 6-3 victory, as she almost cried the first time she saw the tennis legend in the locker room. The triumph is the continuation of Collins’ super successful Sunshine Swing, as the American also reached the fourth round of the BNP Paribas Open. Imagine, she’s played just six matches outside of USA in her entire career, as a poster on Tennis Forum pointed out!
Collins’ semifinal opponent will be sixth seed Jelena Ostapenko, who overpowered fourth seed Elina Svitolina in two tiebreaks earlier on Wednesday. The other semifinal pair was determined yesterday, Sloane Stephens vs. Victoria Azarenka.
MORE MIAMI OPEN 2018 PHOTOS:
- Tuesday: Stephens storms past Kerber, Azarenka stuns Pliskova in the first set of quarterfinals
- Monday: Quarterfinal field shapes up
- Sunday: Third round wraps up, Venus saves match points to set up clash with Konta
- Saturday: Third-round action, No.1 Halep eliminated by Radwanska
- Friday: Second round wraps up, Puig upsets Wozniacki
- Thursday: Second-round action, Halep survives Dodin
- Wednesday: Naomi Osaka beats idol Serena Williams in the first round
- Tuesday: First round kicks off, Anisimova keeps shining
Yeah, she may have shocked Venus, but my girl Jelena Ostapenko shocked the daylights out of her! Venus had a very good run, so kudos to her for sure. Seemingly, her autoimmune disease kicked in during that match. On a different note, kudos to my boy Juan Martin Del Potro also! Although I’m partial to Jelena O., I’m quite excited about the way Sloane is playing. She’s finally showing some tennis playing enthusiasm and not looking all lazy on the court. If she remains in that type of mode, she could easily take it. Nonetheless, best of blessings to them both! “Go, Jelena! Go, Sloane!”
Hey Marija, what rack did Danielle Collins get her outfit from..maybe Walmart? Maybe now that she has earned a little coin she can get a clothing deal. Bless her and my fave “off the rack” clothing player, Hsieh Su-wei’s hearts!
Bless Danielle Collins heart. Now that she has earned a little coin, maybe she can get a clothing contract. Methinks both she and Hsieh Su-wei get their tennis wear off the rack at Walmart.
Jim, from what I noticed in several of her IW and Miami outfits, she’s wearing Lululemon.