In 2009 WTA will introduce the most significant changes since its formation in 1970. Their aim is to make top players compete more often, to make the season easier to follow and to minimize the number of injuries. The changes will include:
- shorter season
- creation of four mandatory events (Indian Wells, Miami, Beijing & Madrid)
- suspensions and bigger fines for those who miss certain tournaments
- reduced number of tournaments top players must play
- reorganization of top level events
- different ranking system
- 30% increase in prize money
- record investments in stadiums (especially Beijing and Madrid)
- major presence in China
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Get weekly women's tennis updates to your inbox for free.