Omair has been a regular contributor on Women’s Tennis Blog, but now he has his own website and in the days leading up to the Australian Open he employed his love of stats to predict how Top 8 seeds will perform at the first Grand Slam of the season.
Omair’s position in the articles is purely statistical, as he evaluated players’ chances based on the past performance of players having the same seeding and based on the previous Australian Open results of the respective players. It’s nice to see a statistical aspect, but you know that much more plays a part in whether a player will succeed, like who is in their section of the draw, possible injuries, mental preparation, etc.
Nevertheless, let’s see the statistical analysis for each of our Top 8 stars:
- Victoria Azarenka and Australian Open 2013 – No.1 seed
- Maria Sharapova and Australian Open 2013 – No.2 seed
- Serena Williams and Australian Open 2013 – No.3 seed
- Agnieszka Radwanska and Australian Open 2013 – No.4 seed
- Angelique Kerber and Australian Open 2013 – No.5 seed
- Li Na and Australian Open 2013 – No.6 seed
- Sara Errani and Australian Open 2013 – No.7 seed
- Petra Kvitova and Australian Open 2013 – No.8 seed
Great work, Omair! I know you poured in a lot of your free time in these articles!
Subsequent addition: Check out Omair’s analysis of the women’s singles draw.