Petra Kvitova won the 2017 Aegon Classic, rounding out a perfect grass comeback week in Birmingham.
Following a knife attack by a home intruder in December 2016, Kvitova had to take a five-month break from tennis following extensive hand surgery. After making her tour comeback at the French Open three weeks ago, Kvitova returned to her winning ways on her favorite surface in Birmingham.
The two-time Wimbledon champion did not drop a single set until the tournament’s final on Sunday, when Australia’s Ashleigh Barty managed to take the opening set from the big-serving Czech. Kvitova rallied to turn the match around, clinching her 20th WTA title, the first ever grasscourt title outside of Wimbledon.
MORE PHOTOS FROM THE 2017 AEGON CLASSIC:
- Saturday: Kvitova, Barty to fight for the Birmingham title
- Friday: Kvitova & Muguruza reach the semis
- Thursday: Konta & Svitolina make early exits
- Wednesday: Petra Kvitova continues successful comeback
- Tuesday: Kvitova, Safarova successfully kick off their campaigns in Birmingham
- Monday: Mixed results for British players
- Sunday: Draw ceremony, Kerber’s withdrawal and qualifying action
- Saturday: WTA qualifying + Petra Kvitova’s practice session
Gorgeous close-ups of Petra!!!! and great to see her smile like that 🙂
Good to see Petra back in form on the grass with the victory, especially with all that has happened to her this year. Wish her all the best for Wimbledon.
Good to see her win her second tournament after the incident. Good things happen to good people. Very well deserved. Ashley also played well and gave Petra a tough time. She now joins the list of other Grand Slam champions who won this tournament: Navratilova, Sharapova, Ivanovic, etc.