After Garbine Muguruza got a walkover into the Qatar Total Open title match when Simona Halep withdrew from their semifinal on Friday, Saturday’s schedule featured just the Petra Kvitova vs. Caroline Wozniacki semi, which the Czech won 3-6 7-6(3) 7-5, extending her winning streak to 12. Let me remind you that just a year ago we weren’t even sure Petra would again play professional tennis!
Wozniacki twice had a chance to serve out the match in the second set, but Kvitova forced a tiebreak and won six consecutive points to clinch it from 1-3. In the decider, it was Kvitova who dropped serve while serving for the match, but she eventually managed to squeeze past the world No.1, earning her third Top 10 victory this week and progressing to the final in which she has a chance to get back into the Top 10 herself.
MORE QATAR TOTAL OPEN 2018 PHOTOS:
- Friday: Quarterfinal action
- Thursday: Third-round action complete, Bellis stuns defending champion Pliskova
- Wednesday: Halep’s first match in NikeCourt, second round wrapped up
- Tuesday: First round action completes, Muguruza & Garcia move into third round
- Monday: Sharapova falls to Niculescu in the first round, Radwanska progresses
- Sunday: Qualifying complete, Wozniacki & Svitolina play tennis at equestrian club
- Saturday: Draw ceremony, Sharapova & kids, player practices
- Friday: Radwanska, Cibulkova, Vesnina, Vekic and others take the practice court