Tenth seed Petra Kvitova dug deep to defeat unseeded Kiki Bertens 7-6(6) 4-6 6-3 in the final of the Mutua Madrid Open, extending her winning streak to 11 and claiming her second WTA title in two weeks, as last week the Czech triumphed in front of her home fans in Prague. The Madrid tournament this year celebrated its 10th year of existence and Petra has already won her third title in the Spanish capital, so she’s pretty much won 1/3 of titles at the Premier Mandatory event, more than any other woman.
In doubles final, top seeds Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina beat third seeds Timea Babos and Kristina Mladenovic, 2-6 6-4 10-8. Of course, our Jimmie48 has both finals covered in photos!
MORE MUTUA MADRID OPEN 2018 PHOTOS:
- Friday: Kvitova beats Pliskova, Bertens breezes past Garcia into the final
- Thursday: Pliskova, Kvitova, Garcia, Bertens move into the semifinals
- Wednesday: Former champs Halep, Kvitova, Sharapova move into quarterfinals
- Tuesday: Continuation of second-round action, Suarez Navarro thrills home crowd with epic Svitolina upset
- Monday: Sharapova & Wozniacki victorious, Pliskova eliminates Azarenka in the second round
- Sunday: Halep, Wozniacki, Azarenka, Sharapova, Muguruza ease through the first round
- Saturday: First round kicks off, Kontaveit eliminates Venus
- Friday: Qualifying action, practice sessions, players’ party