After Sunday’s third-round action at the BNP Paribas Open, all fourth-round match-ups in the bottom half of the draw have been defined. Our photographer Jimmi48 made it to seven of eight third-round matches on Sunday!
As you could read in Karen Helf’s report, Garbine Muguruza was handed a retirement victory against Serena Williams, Simona Halep played two tights sets against qualifier Kateryna Kozlova, Elina Svitolina was better than Daria Gavrilova, Kiki Bertens sent home Johanna Konta, and Ashleigh Barty took out Jennifer Brady.
Seed No.22 Jelena Ostapenko fell to Marketa Vondrousova and seed No.16 Elise Mertens played almost three hours before losing to seed No.18 Qiang Wang.
Moreover, wildcard Bianca Andreescu continues a dream run. Fellow Canadian Denis Shapovalov spoke of how Bianca’s success at the BNP Paribas Open is not surprising, given her big game that he knows well growing up with her.
MORE 2019 BNP PARIBAS OPEN PHOTOS:
- Saturday: Second round wraps up
- Friday: Serena beats Azarenka, Halep & Svitolina advance
- Thursday: Doubles spirit lights up a windy day
- Wednesday: All-Access Hour + Azarenka, Gavrilova win openers
- Tuesday: Gavrilova celebrates birthday, Vekic, Anisimova, Kvitova, Goerges practice
- Monday: Williams sisters, Halep, Kasatkina practice
- Naomi Osaka practices with new coach Jermaine Jenkins
Get women's tennis updates to your inbox.