Top seeds at the 2017 BNP Paribas Open were put to the test on Monday, playing tough matches on a very hot day in the desert.
The day started with Angelique Kerber’s unexpected struggles against Frenchwoman Pauline Parmentier that saw the future #1 on the edge of making a very early Indian Wells exit after trailing 4-1 in the deciding set. It took some vintage Kerber dedication to finally swing the third-round match her way, despite winning less points than her opponent overall.
While Kerber managed to narrowly escape a spectacular loss, other high-ranked players weren’t quite as successful. Romania’s Simona Halep fell to Kristina Mladenovic in straight sets and Agnieszka Radwanska was stunned by Chinese qualifier Peng Shuai.
The night session duel between Madison Keys and Naomi Osaka turned out to be a lot less spectacular than expected and not as dramatic as their previous encounter at the US Open last September. While Keys played a flawless match, the young Japanese wasn’t quite able to deliver her usual level, resulting in a rather swift straight-set loss.
MORE PHOTOS FROM THE 2017 BNP PARIBAS OPEN:
- Sunday: Players battle in the desert heat
- Saturday: Madison Keys returns to the Tour
- Friday: Second-round drama
- Thursday: Completion of the first round
- Wednesday: First-round action begins in the desert
- Tuesday: Qualifying action completes, the main draw is set
- Monday: Qualifying kicks off
- Sunday: Warming up for the tournament
Get women's tennis updates to your inbox.