There was a lot of talk about Simona Halep’s chances of becoming a new world No.1 at the Western & Southern Open on Sunday, but Garbine Muguruza completely dominated the Cincinnati final, leaving Halep with just one single game after 56 minutes of playing time and five points short of the top spot in the WTA rankings.
MORE PHOTOS FROM THE 2017 WESTERN & SOUTHERN OPEN:
- Saturday: Muguruza, Halep reach the finals, the battle for the No.1 ranking is on
- Friday: Pliskova, Muguruza, Stephens, Halep make the semifinals
- Thursday: Wozniacki, Muguruza, Halep advance to the quarterfinals before showers flood the courts
- Wednesday: Kerber loses to Makarova in second-round epic
- Tuesday: Muguruza and Halep move on, Radwanska and Ostapenko make early exit
- Monday: Pliskova, Svitolina, Halep and Kerber to the the media about their No.1 ranking battle
- Sunday: Qualifying action + practice sessions of Pliskova, Kerber, Kvitova, Radwanska
I like seeing Garbine playing so confident. She did change after her Wimbledon victory.