Third-round pairs have been defined at the US Open, as the bottom half of second-round action completed on Thursday. The biggest casualty on Day 4 was second-seeded Caroline Wozniacki, as the Dane fell to Ukrainian Lesia Tsurenko 6-4 6-2. Seed No.11 Daria Kasatkina of Russia also exited the draw, at the hands of Belarusian Aliaksandra Sasnovich, 6-2 7-6(3).
All the other seeded players advanced on Thursday, including seed No.22 Maria Sharapova, who didn’t allow Sorana Cirstea to disrupt her perfect record in night sessions at the US Open.
Our Jimmie48 again managed to cover most of the busy second-round schedule. Besides photos from the above-mentioned matches, we also have those of Thursday’s winners Angelique Kerber, Petra Kvitova, Madison Keys, Caroline Garcia, Jelena Ostapenko, Marketa Vondrousova, Carla Suarez Navarro, Katerina Siniakova, Aryna Sabalenka, Dominika Cibulkova, and the players they defeated.
Pay attention, there’s also one photo of Maria Sharapova‘s boyfriend Alexander Gilkes. 😉
MORE US OPEN 2018 PHOTOS:
- Wednesday, August 29th: Top half second-round matches — Venus, Serena, Stephens, Azarenka, Svitolina victorious
- Tuesday, August 28th: Wozniacki, Keys, Kerber, Kvitova, Sharapova advance to second round on scorching hot day
- Monday, August 27th: Main-draw play kicks off with Stephens & the Williams sisters wins, No.1 Halep upset
- Sunday, August 26th: Cibulkova, Sharapova, Keys, Kvitova practice
- Saturday, August 25th: Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day with Kerber, Keys, Williams
- Friday, August 24th: Final round of WTA qualifying + Media Day
- Wednesday, August 22nd: First round of qualifying completes + Sharapova, Svitolina focus on practice
- Tuesday, August 21st: First round of qualifying + Kerber, Wozniacki, Keys practice sessions
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Get weekly women's tennis updates to your inbox for free.