Simona Halep won her first Internazionali BNL d’Italia title as an injury forced defending champion and fellow former world No.1 Karolina Pliskova to retire early in the second set of the final. The Romanian has now won nine titles on clay, equaling Venus Williams, and the only active player who has won more is Serena Williams with her 13.
Our Jimmie48 photographed Rome from start to finish and he’s now bringing us extensive coverage of the final day: from Simona focusing before the match, to the trophy ceremony and the champion’s celebration with her team.
MORE PHOTOS FROM THE 2020 INTERNAZIONALI BNL D’ITALIA:
- Sunday: Hsieh and Strycova claim doubles crown, Halep and Pliskova make singles final
- Saturday: Halep, Muguruza, Vondrousova, Pliskova reach semifinals
- Friday: Third-round matches
- Thursday: Kenin, Bertens, Martic, Kontaveit out in the second round
- Wednesday: Halep, Pliskova, Svitolina advance to third round
- Tuesday: Kerber out, Muguruza and Gauff advance
- Monday: First-round action kicks off, US Open finalist Victoria Azarenka arrives in Rome
- Getting ready for the tournament