Maria Sharapova’s rise through the rankings at the 2017 US Open continued on Friday night as the Russian punched her ticket for the fourth round, just as her fellow Grand Slam champions Garbine Muguruza, Petra Kvitova, and Venus Williams.
Playing her third consecutive match inside Arthur Ashe Stadium, Sharapova beat American Sofia Kenin in straight sets, setting up a quarterfinal match with Anastasija Sevastova. The victory will bring the 30-year-old back to the Top 100 in the WTA rankings, a position that will guarantee her direct entry into the 2018 Australian Open.
MORE US OPEN 2017 PHOTOS:
- Thursday, August 31st: Pliskova, Ostapenko, Keys, Radwanska, Svitolina move into round three
- Wednesday, August 30th: Maria Sharapova fights on in New York
- Tuesday, August 29th: Osaka stuns Kerber on rain-shortened day
- Monday, August 28th: Sharapova takes out Halep in an emotional night thriller
- Sunday, August 27th: Maria Sharapova, Angelique Kerber, Karolina Pliskova, Simona Halep, Agnieszka Radwanska, Elina Svitolina, Svetlana Kuznetsova practice before the start of main-draw play
- Saturday, August 26th: Kerber & Muguruza meet Pharrell Williams; Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day; Kvitova, Sharapova, Bouchard, Pliskova practice
- Friday, August 25th: Kerber leads the draw ceremony, third round of WTA qualifying unfolds
- Thursday, August 24th: Qualifying Day 3 + Sharapova, Keys Evian event
- Wednesday, August 23rd: Qualifying + Maria Sharapova, Angelique Kerber, Julia Goerges practice
- Tuesday, August 22nd: WTA qualifying action + Keys, Svitolina practice sessions