Maria Sharapova‘s 2017 season was marked by her grand comeback from the Meldonium doping ban at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix in Stuttgart, by the September’s release of her autobiography “Unstoppable”, and, naturally, by a number of amazing Nike outfits. The Russian is the person who exactly ten years ago inspired me to start my Fashion Retrospections, so I’m thrilled to open my this year’s series by reviewing her style.
Let me start by saying that even though it had been known for months that Maria would have to skip the 2017 Australian Open, she did have a dedicated dress, the Nike Spring Maria Premier Dress, unique for its clean lines and sharp colorblocks, available in light aqua with ghost green and arctic orange with hyper orange.
For her April’s comeback, Masha opted for a lilac and orange combo consisting of the Nike Summer Premier Maria Tank with a deep narrow oval neckline and the Nike Summer Premier Maria Skirt, whose mesh hem matches the top’s mesh back panel.
Sharapova kicked off her first tournament in 15 months with a victory over Roberta Vinci and continued to progress as far as the semifinals.
In Madrid and Rome, Masha sported the same look, completed with matching personalized tennis shoes.
Even though she wasn’t playing Roland Garros, Maria had this Nike Summer Maria Premier Tunic ready just in case.
Maria’s Wimbledon absence prevented us from seeing this white Nike Fall Maria Lawn Power Dress with asymmetrical knife pleats, slim racerback and deep faux V-neck in London, but we did see it in action later on during the World Team Tennis event in Newport Beach.
At the Bank of the West Classic in Stanford, Masha’s appearance seemed to be inspired by the Fairy Queen, with its pale pink vibe exuding softness and femininity.
The lightweight micro-pleated shorts captivated with their lively and elegant movement.
Subtle touches of vibrant pink gave this romantic outfit just the right pop of color.
MARIA SHARAPOVA’S NIKE FASHION THROUGH THE YEARS:
- 2016: Masha’s Nike fashion in the season cut short by Meldonium doping case
- 2015: Overview of Masha’s season with Nike
- 2014: All Maria Sharapova’s Nike clothes in pictures
- 2013: Masha’s simple, sporty and subtle styles
- 2012: Nike dresses Sharapova wore in her stellar Career Slam and Olympic silver season
- 2011: All the dresses of tennis fashion queen Maria Sharapova
- 2010: The Queen of Tennis Fashion and her Nike designs
- 2009: Masha and Nike throughout the year
- 2008: All Maria Sharapova’s Nike outfits for this season
- 2007: On-court looks of Maria Sharapova in Nike
And then came the US Open. Sharapova made sure to bring top glamour to New York, working together with Italian designer Riccardo Tisci, the former Givenchy creative director, to create a memorable crystal-studded lace dress, reminiscent of the Russian’s black Audrey Hepburn dress in which she lifted the US Open champion’s trophy back in 2006. The WTA community overwhelmingly voted Masha’s New York ensemble a 2017 Fashion Favorite.
Sharapova balanced the red-carpet elegance of the dress with an oversized bomber jacket, whose masculine energy is softened by the expensive feminine crystals.
Always driven by immense pressure and spotlight (that’s what we admire about Maria the most, isn’t it?), Sharapova miraculously defeated Simona Halep in the first round, her first Top 10 opponent since the comeback, and then marched all the way to the fourth round, so we had plenty of Masha’s on-court time to enjoy Swarovski crystals’ glitter under the lights of Arthur Ashe Stadium.
The victories also made sure we could see the light pink day version of the dress, which Maria contrasted with black accessories, most notably the black armsleeve.
For the Asian Swing, in particular the China Open and the Tianjin Open, Maria prepared a chevron-perforated outfit from Nike’s winter collection.
Masha decided to tuck in her Nike Women’s Winter Maria Premier Tank, so you can’t see that it has a curved hem, but what really makes this barely green item stand out are the ventilating perforations that create a subtle chevron pattern.
The dark atomic teal Nike Winter Maria Premier Skirt with elastic waistband and pleats is also highlighted by the stylish texture noticeable at a closer look.
Lifting the Tianjin Open champion’s trophy, Masha showcased her Nike Winter Maria Jacket.
I think Maria can be more than satisfied with her comeback results, while it goes without saying that her style was spot-on. Even though I adore the powder Stanford look, my favorite piece this season is definitely the black US Open dress, as it pushed even Sharapova’s boundaries of on-court glamour. Do you agree?
MORE 2017 WTA FASHION OVERVIEWS:
- Caroline Wozniacki’s Adidas by Stella McCartney fashion in her resurgent 2017 season
- All Karolina Pliskova’s Fila outfits in her landmark year 2017
- All Venus Williams‘ EleVen collections: Graphics, florals, diamonds, geometric shapes
- Serena Williams‘ Nike fashion in pregnancy-shortened 2017 season
- Refreshed tradition for supreme style: All Dominika Cibulkova‘s Lacoste dresses in 2017
- Petra Kvitova‘s 2017 Nike apparel in her spectacular comeback from stabbing season
- Simona Halep‘s Adidas fashion during her rise to No.1 in 2017
- A battle of extremes: Agnieszka Radwanska‘s 2017 Lotto dresses