Third round wrapped up at the US Open on Saturday and our photographer Jimmie48 made it to most R3 matches from the bottom half of the draw.
The biggest impression of the day is Aryna Sabalenka‘s continuation of fairytale US hardcourt season, as the new Top 20 player stunned Petra Kvitova 7-5 6-1. I like it that the Belarusian changed her Nike kit from the Nike Fall Slam Seamless Tank and Nike Fall Victory Skirt to the Nike Fall Slam Dress, probably in order not to have the same outfit as her opponent.
Last year’s runner-up Madison Keys got past Aleksandra Krunic, Maria Sharapova took down Jelena Ostapenko to improve to 22-0 under in the night session at Flushing Meadows, Wimbledon champion Angelique Kerber was beaten by Dominika Cibulkova, Marketa Vondrousova upset Kiki Bertens, Lesia Tsurenko lost just four games to Katerina Siniakova, Carla Suarez Navarro stunned Caroline Garcia, while Naomi Osaka double bageled Aliaksandra Sasnovich.
MORE US OPEN 2018 PHOTOS:
- Friday, August 31st: Serena beats Venus, Sloane into final 16
- Thursday, August 30th: Wozniacki & Kasatkina out, Sharapova moves into third round
- Wednesday, August 29th: Top half second-round matches — Venus, Serena, Stephens, Azarenka, Svitolina victorious
- Tuesday, August 28th: Wozniacki, Keys, Kerber, Kvitova, Sharapova advance to second round on scorching hot day
- Monday, August 27th: Main-draw play kicks off with Stephens & the Williams sisters wins, No.1 Halep upset
- Sunday, August 26th: Cibulkova, Sharapova, Keys, Kvitova practice
- Saturday, August 25th: Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day with Kerber, Keys, Williams
- Friday, August 24th: Final round of WTA qualifying + Media Day
- Wednesday, August 22nd: First round of qualifying completes + Sharapova, Svitolina focus on practice
- Tuesday, August 21st: First round of qualifying + Kerber, Wozniacki, Keys practice sessions