Second seed Naomi Osaka became the first player to reach the semifinals of the 2019 Brisbane International with a comeback victory over eighth seed Anastasija Sevastova.
Latvia’s Sevastova won both her meetings with Osaka last year and she looked set to record her third consecutive triumph over the Japanese when she claimed the opening set 6-3 in 33 minutes. Encouraged by her coach Sascha Bajin, Osaka turned the match around, bageling her opponent in the second set and staying in charge in the third set for a 3-6 6-0 6-4 victory. After today’s match, Sascha Bajin received the WTA Coach of the Year Award and our Jimmie48 photographed the happy team.
Osaka’s semifinal opponent will be Lesia Tsurenko, who beat Anett Kontaveit 7-5 6-3 in the second semifinal on Thursday.
Jimmie48 is bringing us photos of Thursday’s singles semifinals, Karolina Pliskova meeting Australian wildlife, as well as coverage of one doubles quarterfinal, Nicole Melichar‘s and Kveta Peschke‘s victory over Olga Danilovic and Anastasia Potapova.
MORE 2019 BRISBANE INTERNATIONAL PHOTOS:
- Wednesday: Kvitova, Svitolina, Bertens fall as quarterfinals are set
- Tuesday: Konta upsets Stephens in the first round
- Monday: Main-draw action kicks off on New Year’s Eve
- Sunday: Final round of qualifying + Kids Day
- Saturday: Kvitova, Stephens, Stosur get glamorous, others practice & battle in qualifying
- Friday: Leisure & qualifying, opening of the 2019 season