Eight players earned their place in the BNP Paribas Open quarterfinals by winning their fourth-round matches on Tuesday and top two seeds Naomi Osaka and Simona Halep are not among the winners.
The world No.1 Osaka won just four games against seed No.23 Belinda Bencic, while second-ranked Halep was conquered by world No.61 Marketa Vondrousova in three sets. Bencic’s quarterfinal opponent will be fifth seed Karolina Pliskova, who eliminated seed No.21 Anett Kontaveit in the fourth round, while Vondrousova will face sixth seed Elina Svitolina, who survived seed No.12 Ashleigh Barty in the longest WTA match of the year.
Wildcard Bianca Andreescu continues her fairytale run, upsetting seed No.18 Wang Qiang and earning a quarterfinal meeting with 20th seed Garbine Muguruza, who got past seventh seed Kiki Bertens. Eighth seed Angelique Kerber beat ninth seed Aryna Sabalenka and is set to face Venus Williams in the last eight.
Our photographer Jimmie48 made it to seven of these eight encounters on Tuesday, so we have plenty of excellent photos!
MORE 2019 BNP PARIBAS OPEN PHOTOS:
- Monday: Third round wraps up
- Sunday: Third-round matches in the bottom half of the draw
- Saturday: Second round wraps up
- Friday: Serena beats Azarenka, Halep & Svitolina advance
- Thursday: Doubles spirit lights up a windy day
- Wednesday: All-Access Hour + Azarenka, Gavrilova win openers
- Tuesday: Gavrilova celebrates birthday, Vekic, Anisimova, Kvitova, Goerges practice
- Monday: Williams sisters, Halep, Kasatkina practice
- Naomi Osaka practices with new coach Jermaine Jenkins