In 2017 Serena Williams played just two tournaments, casually winning one, none other than the Australian Open, and the legend did it while being pregnant with her daughter Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr. Despite the American’s shrunk season, I’m including her in this year’s Fashion Retrospections, as not only does she deserve it, but she did have dresses ready for two more Grand Slams, even though it was certain that she wouldn’t play them.
At the ASB Classic in Auckland, Serena worked the Nike Fall Serena Premier Dress, accessorized by black arm sleeves. It’s the black and white version of her high-collared 2016 US Open look.
I like to call this dress the Circus Dress, because the wide contrast pleats remind me of a circus tent.
SERENA’S STYLE THROUGH THE YEARS:
- 2016: Mind-blowing crop-tops & cute tiered pleats
- 2015: Sexy tunics, leopard dresses, flirty separates: Serena Williams’ Nike outfits
- 2014: Serena’s Nike outfits throughout the season
- 2013: All Nike dresses Serena wore during her 78 match wins and 11 trophy lifts
- 2012: Overview of Serena Williams’ Nike fashion throughout the year
- 2011: Nike clothes for the champion
- 2010: Serena in colorful Nike
- 2009: A look back at Serena’s outfits during the season
- 2008: Dresses for the American tennis hurricane
En route to winning her 23rd Grand Slam at the 2017 Australian Open, Serena wore the stunning Nike Spring Premier Power Dress, inspired by the shadows cast on a tennis court, although the print reminds me more of piano keys.
Even though she was just a spectator at Roland Garros this year, Serena did have a dedicated dress for the tournament, the Nike Summer Power Premier Dress, which is actually a paint-splashed romper, without built-in compression shorts.
For Wimbledon Nike created this captivating Fall Serena Lawn Power Dress, characterized by a deep V-neck, closed cutouts, layered skirt with mesh hem and asymmetrical mesh top layer.
Serena is both a tennis great and a style icon, which she’s proving from season to season, no matter how many tournaments she plays. Even though her title defense at the upcoming Australian Open is still uncertain, she already has special Nike kicks ready for the occasion!
MORE 2017 WTA FASHION OVERVIEWS:
- Elegance & haute couture: Maria Sharapova sets a new standard with Nike tennis dresses
- Caroline Wozniacki’s Adidas by Stella McCartney fashion in her resurgent 2017 season
- All Karolina Pliskova’s Fila outfits in her landmark year 2017
- All Venus Williams‘ EleVen collections: Graphics, florals, diamonds, geometric shapes
- Refreshed tradition for supreme style: All Dominika Cibulkova‘s Lacoste dresses in 2017
- Petra Kvitova‘s 2017 Nike apparel in her spectacular comeback from stabbing season
- Simona Halep‘s Adidas fashion during her rise to No.1 in 2017
- A battle of extremes: Agnieszka Radwanska‘s 2017 Lotto dresses