Just like for the French Open, Nike has created dedicated Wimbledon 2017 dresses for both Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova, even though neither will play the grasscourt Grand Slam — the American is well into her pregnancy, while the Russian is nursing a thigh injury sustained at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in May.
Similar to Adidas, Nike uses different shapes and textures to create visual interest within the strict boundaries of SW19 clothing rules.
Williams’ Nike Fall Serena Lawn Power Dress features a deep V-neck, just as most of her dresses, closed cutouts at waist that provide a figure-slimming effect, as well as layered skirt with mesh hem and asymmetrical mesh top layer. The top of the dress also features a central dagger-shaped textural contrast that divides the dress and balances the asymmetrical skirt.
The skirt of Sharapova’s Nike Fall Maria Lawn Power Dress is asymmetrical just as Serena’s, but in a very different way, as the Russian’s skirt features knife pleats instead of mesh. The top is a simple slim racerback design, while its front section features a deep faux V-neck with centrally-positioned Swoosh.
I like it how Nike created two very different designs that still look like they spring from the same family because of the center-chest dagger-shaped textural elements and asymmetrical skirts. I really can’t decide which of the dresses would be my favorite. Maybe Serena’s. What do you think? (photos courtesy of Tennis_Glamur)
MORE WTA FASHIONS AT WIMBLEDON 2017:
- Garbine Muguruza‘s and Caroline Wozniacki‘s Adidas by Stella McCartney Barricade designs inspired by vintage lingerie
- Adidas‘ “Evil Twin” whites for Angelique Kerber, Kristina Mladenovic, Simona Halep and others
- Lacoste‘s pleated Wimbledon whites for Alize Cornet, Dominika Cibulkova and Christina McHale
- NikeCourt equips Genie Bouchard & Madison Keys for Wimbledon
- Fila‘s pleats for Karolina Pliskova and white disco sparkle for Jelena Jankovic
- Back to classics: Agnieszka Radwanska‘s Lotto Nixia III Dress
- Venus Williams to mix and match EleVen clothes from various collections
- New Balance‘s English roses for Heather Watson and Sorana Cirstea embelish the 2017 grasscourt season
I love them both! Especially Serena’s – what a shame we wont see it. Im surprised Nike hasn’t offered the designs to other high profile Nike players. Petra, Vika, Genie?
Who will wear Maria Dress
I love Serena’s dress. Very chic and elegant.
Both dresses are great. I wish someone would wear them.
Jacob, there will be news about other players as well! It’s still early.
SharapovaFun, I don’t think anyone will wear Maria’s dress.
Do you know what players are waer these dresses?
They are so cute 😀
Maria, for example, Carina Witthoeft wore Sharapova’s dress in her R1 match.