The first semifinal pair is set in the bottom half of the BNP Paribas Open draw, as Bianca Andreescu and Elina Svitolina won their quarterfinal matches on Wednesday.
The 18-year-old Andreescu emphatically continued her surprise run at Indian Wells, crushing former world No.1 Garbine Muguruza 6-0 6-1 in just 52 minutes! The Canadian world No.60, who is set to make her Top 40 debut, is now bidding to become the first wildcard to reach the final at the Premier Mandatory tournament.
In the other Wednesday’s quarterfinal, the sixth-seeded Svitolina rallied from a set down and from a break down in the decider to prevent an all-teen semifinal by beating 19-year-old Czech Marketa Vondrousova 4-6 6-4 6-4.
Our photographer Jimmie48 attended the singles quarterfinals and the doubles quarterfinal victory of top seeds Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova over Kiki Bertens and Donna Vekic.
MORE 2019 BNP PARIBAS OPEN PHOTOS:
- Tuesday: Osaka, Halep wave goodbye in the fourth round
- Monday: Third round wraps up
- Sunday: Third-round matches in the bottom half of the draw
- Saturday: Second round wraps up
- Friday: Serena beats Azarenka, Halep & Svitolina advance
- Thursday: Doubles spirit lights up a windy day
- Wednesday: All-Access Hour + Azarenka, Gavrilova win openers
- Tuesday: Gavrilova celebrates birthday, Vekic, Anisimova, Kvitova, Goerges practice
- Monday: Williams sisters, Halep, Kasatkina practice
- Naomi Osaka practices with new coach Jermaine Jenkins