Even though young players have stolen a considerable portion of media coverage, Serena Williams remains a tennis fashion queen and we’re always looking forward to seeing the designs Nike prepares for the 40-year-old, especially at majors. In the 2021 season, the tennis legend once again played few tournaments — three WTA events and three Grand Slams — but she continued to impress with her on-court appearance. Let’s have a look at all her outfits this year, as part of my annual Fashion Retrospections.
At the Yarra Valley Classic in Melbourne, Williams wore a pink tank and a pleated skirt.
At the Australian Open, Williams rocked a jaw-dropping asymmetrical catsuit inspired by the late track star Florence Griffith Joyner. The one-legged design and pink/red colorblocks made this one of the American’s boldest looks ever.
In Rome and Parma, Williams introduced another outstanding pink look: a short-sleeved top tied in a knot below chest and a tiered pleated skirt. The items are called the Nike Summer Advantage Pleated Skirt and Nike Summer Advantage Top.
OVERVIEW OF SERENA WILLIAMS’ NIKE APPAREL IN RECENT YEARS:
- 2020: Serena’s Nike dresses in the pandemic season
- 2019: Serena Williams‘ year with Nike through the fashion lens
- 2018: Fishnet tights, catsuit, tutu dress
- 2017: Serena Williams’ fashion in pregnancy-shortened season
- 2016: Mind-blowing crop-tops & cute tiered pleats
Williams’ custom French Open outfit attracted attention with striking green tones.
The 23-time major champion paired a long-sleeve top with matching shorts and a diagonal mock skirt over it. En route to the fourth round in Paris she also debuted a striking asymmetrical green Nike dress.
Her Nike women’s tennis shoes, in matching neon green featured drawings of the Eiffel Tower, a tennis ball, and motivational quotes such as “never stop fighting” and “je ne m’arrêterai jamais” which translates from French as “I will never stop.”
The last tournament Williams played in 2021 was Wimbledon. Williams’ all-white look was a custom one-sleeve dress that features a layered skirt with asymmetrical hem. One detail put this ensemble among the most memorable WTA outfits ever — a detachable train that the tennis legend accessorized with as she arrived on Centre Court.
What do you think, are young generations able to replace Serena when it comes to groundbreaking tennis style?
MORE 2021 FASHION RETROSPECTIONS:
- Tennis classics: Karolina Pliskova’s Fila tanks and skirts
- Garbine Muguruza’s Adidas tennis apparel
- Overview of Iga Swiatek’s Asics tennis shoes and dresses
- All Nike tennis outfits Naomi Osaka wore during the season
- World number one Ashleigh Barty’s Fila tennis shoes and apparel
- Aryna Sabalenka in Nike tennis apparel
- Anett Kontaveit‘s Lacoste style: White pleated skirts, colorblocks and stripes
- Venus Williams’ versatile EleVen dresses
I did care for this seasons kits. Slightly disappointing IMO. Decent pieces but none wowed me
I swear Serena looked terrible in any shades of pink, but stunning in lime/volt color.
So my fav outfit of Serena has to be her RG dress.
Any leaks on her USO dresses?
Ian, USO? You mean AO? Anyway, in recent years we rarely get information about Serena’s custom attire for upcoming Grand Slams. Nike tends to keep it a surprise. Just like with Naomi Osaka.