We’re less than a week away from the 2019 French Open and Nike is releasing a floral and beehive-inspired collection, … with an addition of a few nature-loving skeletons. The first WTA player to show us the new clothes is Simona Halep, who won her first and so far only Grand Slam title last year in Paris.
I call this Nike Summer Player Print Top a faux polo, because in the specifications I’m reading that it features a sewn-down collar made of striped rib trim. The repeating bee print is Nike’s reference to royalty and power. A great functionality of the top is a back zipper that provides easy on and off.
At first glance it seems that the collection is black and white, but it’s not. This top combines black and oxygen purple, while it also exists in sail with oxygen purple.
While Maria Sharapova’s Nike dress for Roland Garros (which we’ll probably never see the Russian wear, as she’ll not play in Paris) features large blossoms that celebrate the classic tradition of French florals, Halep’s dark floral Nike Summer Flex Player Skirt draws inspiration from traditional French tapestries.
When it gets cold in Paris, Halep will sport this Nike Summer Cover Up Jacket, a slightly cropped hooded design featuring mesh lining. To protect Halep from the sun, Nike created both the Unisex Summer Heritage Floral Hat, featuring sweat-wicking headband and adjustable back strap, and the Nike Summer Heritage Floral Visor with the same properties.
NikeCourt’s Instagram story also reveals that Halep will wear these light purple Nike Air Zoom Vapor X Clay Shoes.
Besides bees and flowers, the new collection also features a toile-inspired skeleton print, such as this Nike Summer Seasonal Tank and these Nike Summer Flex Shorts. When you look closely, you can see skeletons holding hands, playing tennis, or sitting under a tree holding a flower. Weird.
What do you think about the new collection? Bees, flowers, skeletons, what do you prefer?
MORE ROLAND GARROS 2019 FASHION:
- Adidas Escouade collection for Garbine Muguruza, Caroline Wozniacki, Angelique Kerber
- Maria Sharapova‘s floral Nike dress
- New Balance drops a style bomb with new dress for Sorana Cirstea
- Lotto creates a zebra dress for Elise Mertens
- Julia Goerges equipped with Asics Gel-Cool blues
- Bethanie Mattek-Sands delivers comic-inspired Lucky in Love Super Girl collection
- Fila takes classic tennis fashion to new heights with Heritage collection for Karolina Pliskova and Kiki Bertens
- Fila releases special P.L. Rolando collection for Ashleigh Barty’s appearance in Paris
- Timea Bacsinszky teams up with Le Coq Sportif in Paris
- Venus Williams rocks EleVen Love Leopard collection
- Nike introduces a cape-jacket to sports fashion with Serena Williams & Virgil Abloh