In the period leading up to the French Open, I presented what all the leading tennis apparel companies would launch at the claycourt Grand Slam, except for Venus Williams‘ EleVen, because the American tends to be unpredictable, so I waited for her first-round match to see whether she would indeed wear the newly-launched Love Leopard collection.
You may remember that I gave you a sneak peek at this collection as early as in November 2018, when I said that it would be Venus’ choice for the clay season — and I was right. Playing Elina Svitolina on the new Court Simonne Mathieu, a “garden” court surrounded by four greenhouses that house tropical plants from South America, Africa, South East Asia and Australia, Venus presented the Love Leopard Tank Top and Flutter Skirt — one of the more subtle looks from the overall bold collection that combines a dove grey animal print and limelight green highlights.
Venus’ workout clothes at Roland Garros included the Black Seamless Zip Hoodie with jacquard texture side details and the Essential Outskirt Capri in frost grey.
The most extravagant items in the collection are bustier-inspired dresses, especially the Love Leopard Pounce Dress, featuring sharp green contrast taping under bust and hip. In the French Open lead-up period, Venus was promoting this provocative white dress from the range.
In an interview for Who What Wear, the seven-time major champion said that a bomber jacket from the Love Leopard collection is a must-have according to her:
Believe it or not, a bomber jacket is an underrated workout essential. It’s fashionable and really functional. My Flash Forward Bomber Jacket from this collection is that perfect piece to layer for a nighttime outdoor workout. It comes in our Love Leopard print, and the collar is a lurex rib so it has this nice sparkle. It’s definitely one of my favorite pieces from the collection.
In today’s first-round match at Roland Garros, both Venus and Elina struggled on serve before the Ukrainian finished both sets stronger to record a 6-3 6-3 victory on her third match point.
MORE ROLAND GARROS 2019 FASHION:
- Nike‘s beehive faux polo and floral skirt for Simona Halep‘s title defense
- Adidas Escouade collection for Garbine Muguruza, Caroline Wozniacki, Angelique Kerber
- Maria Sharapova‘s floral Nike dress
- New Balance drops a style bomb with new dress for Sorana Cirstea
- Lotto creates a zebra dress for Elise Mertens
- Julia Goerges equipped with Asics Gel-Cool blues
- Bethanie Mattek-Sands delivers comic-inspired Lucky in Love Super Girl collection
- Fila takes classic tennis fashion to new heights with Heritage collection for Karolina Pliskova and Kiki Bertens
- Fila releases special P.L. Rolando collection for Ashleigh Barty‘s appearance in Paris
- Nike introduces a cape-jacket to sports fashion with Serena Williams & Virgil Abloh
- Timea Bacsinszky teams up with Le Coq Sportif in Paris