In the period leading up to the French Open, I presented what all the leading tennis apparel companies would launch at the claycourt Grand Slam, except for Venus Williams‘ EleVen, because the American tends to be unpredictable, so I waited for her first-round match to see whether she would indeed wear the newly-launched Love Leopard collection.
You may remember that I gave you a sneak peek at this collection as early as in November 2018, when I said that it would be Venus’ choice for the clay season — and I was right. Playing Elina Svitolina on the new Court Simonne Mathieu, a “garden” court surrounded by four greenhouses that house tropical plants from South America, Africa, South East Asia and Australia, Venus presented the Love Leopard Tank Top and Flutter Skirt — one of the more subtle looks from the overall bold collection that combines a dove grey animal print and limelight green highlights.
The most extravagant items in the collection are bustier-inspired dresses, especially the Love Leopard Pounce Dress, featuring sharp green contrast taping under bust and hip. In the French Open lead-up period, Venus was promoting this provocative white dress from the range.
In an interview for Who What Wear, the seven-time major champion said that a bomber jacket from the Love Leopard collection is a must-have according to her:
Believe it or not, a bomber jacket is an underrated workout essential. It’s fashionable and really functional. My Flash Forward Bomber Jacket from this collection is that perfect piece to layer for a nighttime outdoor workout. It comes in our Love Leopard print, and the collar is a lurex rib so it has this nice sparkle. It’s definitely one of my favorite pieces from the collection.
In today’s first-round match at Roland Garros, both Venus and Elina struggled on serve before the Ukrainian finished both sets stronger to record a 6-3 6-3 victory on her third match point.
MORE ROLAND GARROS 2019 FASHION:
- Nike‘s beehive faux polo and floral skirt for Simona Halep‘s title defense
- Adidas Escouade collection for Garbine Muguruza, Caroline Wozniacki, Angelique Kerber
- Maria Sharapova‘s floral Nike dress
- New Balance drops a style bomb with new dress for Sorana Cirstea
- Lotto creates a zebra dress for Elise Mertens
- Julia Goerges equipped with Asics Gel-Cool blues
- Bethanie Mattek-Sands delivers comic-inspired Lucky in Love Super Girl collection
- Fila takes classic tennis fashion to new heights with Heritage collection for Karolina Pliskova and Kiki Bertens
- Fila releases special P.L. Rolando collection for Ashleigh Barty‘s appearance in Paris
- Nike introduces a cape-jacket to sports fashion with Serena Williams & Virgil Abloh
- Timea Bacsinszky teams up with Le Coq Sportif in Paris