We’re in late April and still only Adidas has officially revealed their looks from the 2019 French Open, the so called Escouade collection, but photos have surfaced of two versions of the Nike Summer Maria Dress and they could be for Roland Garros and Wimbledon.
Instagram profile Tennis Glamour posted this floral design as a new dress bearing Maria’s name and I’m pretty sure that’s what we’ll see the Russian wear in Paris (update: in mid-May Sharapova withdrew from Roland Garros because of an ongoing recovery process on her shoulder). Flowers, back cutouts and asymmetry have been a thing in women’s tennis fashion for years now and Masha continues these trends. Are there any flower connoisseurs here? What type of flower is this?
The top of the dress is very simple, sleeveless, with zipper at center back. The knot at the left side of the waist is a design feature we don’t often see in WTA fashion and it’s also interesting that the skirt is asymmetric only at the front, as it is extended at the side where the knot is.
The dress looks very elegant and Masha would definitely pull it off to perfection. I really like these giant blue flowers on a black background.
This Nike Summer Maria Dress also exists in white, so it’s natural to assume that it is intended for Wimbledon, but remember that Sharapova’s blue Roland Garros 2018 dress also existed in white and the Russian introduced a new design at Wimbledon.
From afar, the new white dress resembles Maria’s last year’s Wimbledon dress, but it’s actually very different, as the old one was all about pleats, featuring them both in the skirt and the racerback.
The new Nike collection, including these two dresses, is available at both Tennis Warehouse USA and Tennis Warehouse Europe.
MORE ROLAND GARROS 2019 FASHION:
- Nike‘s beehive faux polo and floral skirt for Simona Halep‘s title defense
- Adidas Escouade collection for Garbine Muguruza, Caroline Wozniacki, Angelique Kerber
- New Balance drops a style bomb with new dress for Sorana Cirstea
- Lotto creates a zebra dress for Elise Mertens
- Julia Goerges equipped with Asics Gel-Cool blues
- Bethanie Mattek-Sands delivers comic-inspired Lucky in Love Super Girl collection
- Fila takes classic tennis fashion to new heights with Heritage collection for Karolina Pliskova and Kiki Bertens
- Fila releases special P.L. Rolando collection for Ashleigh Barty’s appearance in Paris
- Timea Bacsinszky teams up with Le Coq Sportif in Paris
- Venus Williams rocks EleVen Love Leopard collection
- Nike introduces a cape-jacket to sports fashion with Serena Williams & Virgil Abloh
I may be wrong, but the flower looks like a lily. I’m going to posit that it is a reference to the fleur-de-lis, which makes sense if the dress is focused on the French Open.
Will she even play RG 2019? I feel she wont because of her shoulder.
The black one is for Masha’s RG
The white one is for Masha’s clans for Wimbledon (Bencic, Tomljanovic)..
Masha’s Wimbledon’s dress will be something different..
This always been the pattern for Nike Maria Collection since 2016, 2017, 2018, n possibly this year..
It’s very possible that Masha will miss the French Open due to her right shoulder injury, as she has also withdrawn from Rome. She hasn’t played for more than three months now. Still, it’s happened many times that Maria has her dedicated dress for a Grand Slam she won’t be playing.
Ian, you’re most probably right. That has been the pattern, so we can expect Masha to have a new design for Wimbledon.
Nike is going for a summer/floral prints for Roland Garros
Dull, thanks for the share. Are those two skeletons holding hands on a men’s shirt?
maybe two skeletons holding hands
yeah i think u are right
Terrible. Nike disappointing all year except for the last month or so for the women on clay.