We’re in late April and still only Adidas has officially revealed their looks from the 2019 French Open, the so called Escouade collection, but photos have surfaced of two versions of the Nike Summer Maria Dress and they could be for Roland Garros and Wimbledon.
Instagram profile Tennis Glamour posted this floral design as a new dress bearing Maria’s name and I’m pretty sure that’s what we’ll see the Russian wear in Paris (update: in mid-May Sharapova withdrew from Roland Garros because of an ongoing recovery process on her shoulder). Flowers, back cutouts and asymmetry have been a thing in women’s tennis fashion for years now and Masha continues these trends. Are there any flower connoisseurs here? What type of flower is this?
The top of the dress is very simple, sleeveless, with zipper at center back. The knot at the left side of the waist is a design feature we don’t often see in WTA fashion and it’s also interesting that the skirt is asymmetric only at the front, as it is extended at the side where the knot is.
The dress looks very elegant and Masha would definitely pull it off to perfection. I really like these giant blue flowers on a black background.
This Nike Summer Maria Dress also exists in white, so it’s natural to assume that it is intended for Wimbledon, but remember that Sharapova’s blue Roland Garros 2018 dress also existed in white and the Russian introduced a new design at Wimbledon.
From afar, the new white dress resembles Maria’s last year’s Wimbledon dress, but it’s actually very different, as the old one was all about pleats, featuring them both in the skirt and the racerback.
MORE ROLAND GARROS 2019 FASHION:
- Nike‘s beehive faux polo and floral skirt for Simona Halep‘s title defense
- Adidas Escouade collection for Garbine Muguruza, Caroline Wozniacki, Angelique Kerber
- New Balance drops a style bomb with new dress for Sorana Cirstea
- Lotto creates a zebra dress for Elise Mertens
- Julia Goerges equipped with Asics Gel-Cool blues
- Bethanie Mattek-Sands delivers comic-inspired Lucky in Love Super Girl collection
- Fila takes classic tennis fashion to new heights with Heritage collection for Karolina Pliskova and Kiki Bertens
- Fila releases special P.L. Rolando collection for Ashleigh Barty’s appearance in Paris
- Timea Bacsinszky teams up with Le Coq Sportif in Paris
- Venus Williams rocks EleVen Love Leopard collection
- Nike introduces a cape-jacket to sports fashion with Serena Williams & Virgil Abloh