Fila continues to celebrate its 110th anniversary with surprise partnerships. Soon after presenting the Wimbledon line created in cooperation with Brooks Brothers, the sportswear company is revealing a partnership with MSGM for the 2021 French Open collection to be debuted in Paris.
Fila-sponsored WTA players Sofia Kenin, Karolina Pliskova and others will wear the clothes created by MSGM, the Italian purveyor of joy, energy, and a metropolitan cool spirit.
MSGM creative director Massimo Giorgetti dug into the rich Fila archives to find inspiration for the new collection which he likes to call “You are my match point”, the wording that recurs in the form of print or embroidery in the designs.
The new apparel indulges in MSGM’s iconic tie-dye prints and marble motifs combined with romantic accents such as lace and ruffles. The offer includes halter neck tops, mini skirts, shorts, polo shirts and t-shirts.
Massimo Giorgetti explained the atmosphere he wanted to convey with the fresh Roland Garros looks:
Fila, for me, is the tennis court. I wanted to give a romantic interpretation of it, echoing a cinematic world. My main inspiration for the short skirts came from Lea Pericoli, the Italian tennis champion whose fashion choices on the court turned heads in the 1960s. In visiting the Fila archives, I was surprised by how much they have done over the decades. I just had to remix and update it.
Here’s a short video promotion, filmed in Herbeville by Oliver Hadlee Pearch, with a soundtrack by Bernardino Femminielli. The story loosely suggests a love triangle on the tennis court. The atmosphere is romantic, with a palpable French touch as a nod to the tournament’s home in Paris.
The collection is sold exclusively on fila.uk, in select Fila retail stores in China and Japan, and on MSGM.it. The launch on fila.com will follow this summer.
MORE ROLAND GARROS 2021 FASHION:
- Official 2021 Roland Garros merch: T-shirts, racquets, bags, and towels
- Naomi Osaka‘s designs her own Nike tennis dress and shoes
- Ashleigh Barty to debut Fila Celestial Point collection
- Defending champion Iga Swiatek will wear this Asics tank and skirt in Paris
- Nike‘s dark tones, asymmetry and sheer fabrics bring elegance to Parisian courts
- Kristina Mladenovic, Garbine Muguruza, Maria Sakkari present Adidas‘ head-to-toe iridescent looks
- Anett Kontaveit presents Lacoste apparel for the French Open
- Johanna Konta shows her new tie-dye Ellesse dress
- Yonex indulges in lavender