For the fourth time this year, Fila is releasing a special-edition P.L. Rolando collection for the 2019 US Open, as the Italian company celebrates the work and legacy of its original creative director, Pierluigi Rolando. Just like at Wimbledon, Czech Karolina Pliskova will wear designs inspired by Rolando’s sketches at the season’s final Grand Slam.
The P.L. Rolando collection to be debuted at Flushing Meadows combines Fila’s traditional red, white and navy hues, finished with pops of cerulean and stripe detailing.
The ladies’ line offers a flounce hem skater dress, presented on the left, and a sporty mini skort that pairs with a shoulder-highlighting racerback silhouette, modeled on the right.
The new P.L. Rolando jacket is also inspired by the man known for being the first to bring bold color to the tennis court in 1973. The matching track pants follow a classic, timeless style.
The most famous installment of the P.L. Rolando line is the second one, the black-and-white clothes in which Ashleigh Barty won her maiden Grand Slam title at Roland Garros.
“Tennis in Technicolor” pop-up at 85 North 3rd Street in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
On August 24th and 25th, Fila will launch its “Tennis in Technicolor” immersive pop-up in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, to bring the P.L. Rolando campaign and collection to life. The boldly designed space will be both interactive and instagrammable, celebrating Fila’s impact on the style and culture of the sport.
Visitors will experience Fila tennis moments via a multimedia archive gallery wall, relax in the “Bleacher Lounge” or play a game of table tennis, enjoy Italian drinks and bites at the “Backhand Bar,” and participate in additional programming activities throughout the weekend. Guests will also be able to purchase the P.L. Rolando apparel.
Fila-sponsored Ashleigh Barty and Kiki Bertens will wear the Awning collection at the upcoming US Open.
MORE US OPEN 2019 WTA FASHION:
- Maria Sharapova’s day & night Nike dresses for New York
- Color purple & graphic prints mark NikeCourt collection for Simona Halep, Elina Svitolina, Petra Kvitova
- Sloane Stephens’ Nike kit vamped up with tennis-adapted Air Jordan 8s
- Garbine Muguruza, Angelique Kerber, Caroline Wozniacki equipped for New York: Adidas contrasts black and vibrant green in looks inspired by urban tennis culture
- Naomi Osaka brings futuristic Nike x Sacai performance apparel to US Open title defense
- New Balance teams up with Gitman Vintage in collection set to be worn by Danielle Collins, Cori Gauff, and others
- Venus Williams‘ EleVen Phoenix collection for New York
- Ashleigh Barty, Kiki Bertens to debut Fila Awning collection
- Bethanie Mattek-Sands‘ Born Free Lucky in Love style
- Lotto introduces Pop Flower collection for Elise Mertens, Lesia Tsurenko, Alize Cornet
- Julia Goerges, Zhang Shuai show their Asics outfits