Nike is bringing back Andre Agassi’s anti-establishment aesthetic in the 2020 US Open collection, reviving the ATP icon’s Challenge Court apparel that broke the mold for tennis fashion 30 years ago.
The 2020 Challenge Court collection is made from a contemporary material palette to ensure top performance while honoring the past with Agassi’s legendary style that mixed denim, neon and surf/skate-like geometric patterns.
Here’s a vintage Nike ad for the Challenge Court collection that Agassi wore during his run to the 1990 US Open final, the second Grand Slam final of his career.
“It just started with me being opinionated and Nike having a sense of being willing to push boundaries,” Agassi told Forbes about the driving force behind his 1990 designs. “It was uncovering what I wanted to communicate. A lot of it had to do with the rebellious phase I was in, anything that broke the establishment idea was a big motivator at the time.”
The 2020 iteration of the legendary on-court apparel that reimagined tennis fashion focuses on keeping the core Challenge Court hallmarks such as jorts, crop tops, neon, smudges, bold-colored graphics, spandex and the handmade feel of the Challenge Court logo inspired by an accidental ink blot.
“It will be odd for me to see great players and athletes busting out the new performance materials and stuff I wish I had even then,” said Agassi about the new clothes that evoke a sense of nostalgia. “I got a chance to live with it and it has come a long way. I was just a teenager willing to take chances with a company also willing to take chances. We had some fun stuff over the years, and we get to relive it now.”
Along with on-court basics like shorts and crop tops, highlights include logo-driven accessories, polos and fresh colorways of NikeCourt’s current suite of footwear.
The 2020 Challenge Court collection will be worn by Nike-sponsored players during the upcoming tournaments in New York City — the Western & Southern Open, followed by the US Open. The new apparel is available for purchase at Tennis Warehouse USA and Tennis Warehouse Europe.
MORE 2020 US OPEN WTA FASHION:
- Sofia Kenin, Karolina Pliskova to debut Fila’s revamped Heritage classics
- Adidas launches new apparel for Angelique Kerber, Garbine Muguruza and others
- New Balance’s neo flame apparel ready to set the US Open on fire
- Venus Williams to sport sparkly EleVen Shine collection
- Ready for return in red: Yonex presents NYC collection
- Outfits for Asics-sponsored Zhang Shuai, Caroline Garcia and Iga Swiatek
- Maria Sharapova’s custom Nike day and night dresses
- Vera Zvonareva to sport Bidi Badu’s Heat of the Night collection
- Lacoste’s fresh tennis clothes rock New York City