After a very patchy 2019 season during which she played just eight tournaments, Maria Sharapova has the 2020 Australian Open on her schedule and photos of two Nike Spring Maria Dresses have appeared as her probable fashion choice for the Grand Slam.
You may remember that we had two white dresses as Sharapova’s expected looks for Wimbledon 2019, but the Russian shocked us by showing up at the grass-court major in a never-before-seen third dress design, so I’m taking all previews of her outfits with a grain of salt. Anyways, a bunch of people are posting online these two dresses, claiming that that’s what she’ll wear in Melbourne.
Colors red and black are not typical options for Australia. In my opinion, they are perfect for the US Open, while some lighter tones are better fitting for the overly sunny courts in Melbourne, but hey, who am I to doubt the tennis glamour queen and Nike? To increase air-flow, the dress features asymmetrical mesh sections at chest, waist and hem, as I can notice in these preview pics.
Let’s see if Sharapova will confirm her Australian Open outfit in the coming weeks. In the meantime, let’s just hope that the most important thing, her health, allows her to give us the best she’s got at the season’s first major. In a recent interview, the former world No.1 currently ranked No.133 kept her form under question, although a trip to Melbourne is not in doubt:
I think that will be one of the biggest challenges for the new year, is to have a set schedule. I definitely look forward to going to Australia and seeing how things go, see how the body holds up there.
UPDATE: On January 15th, Maria tweeted a photo of the red dress, so we can confirm that it’s her choice for the Aussie Open.
MORE WTA FASHION READY FOR AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2020:
- Bianca Andreescu reveals NikeCourt outfit, vibrant yellow bodysuit brings on the heat
- A closer look at Nike Melbourne tennis clothes and shoes
- Karolina Pliskova, Sofia Kenin present Fila Colorful Play collection
- Caroline Wozniacki’s Adidas attire for the final tournament of her career
- Sneak peek at Adidas‘ clothes for Angelique Kerber, Garbine Muguruza and Kristina Mladenovic
- A closer look at Adidas’ HEAT.RDY women’s collection
- Venus Williams shows EleVen Neon Dreams collection during Melbourne practice
- New Balance dress for Melbourne
- Lucky in Love collection: Bethanie Mattek-Sands‘ “A Night at the Opera” bursts with energy
- Julia Goerges ready to sweep the courts in the Asics Solution Speed FF shoes
- Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova shows new Lacoste dress
- Yonex tennis apparel for Dayana Yastremska and Anastasija Sevastova
- Alize Cornet shows Lotto‘s first dress for 2020
- Yanina Wickmayer launches Lotto Spring 2020 Tech collection
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Get weekly women's tennis updates to your inbox for free.